What Makes a Good Yoga Mat (and How to Choose One)
What Makes a Good Yoga Mat (and How to Choose One)
By the Pureful Yoga Team 🍃
Jump to any section here ⤵️
Not all yoga mats are created equal.
In fact, there are more poor quality yoga mats our there than good ones.
- This makes it tough to find your perfect pick.
- But you don’t have to stress any longer – because we’re here to help!
- In this article, you’ll learn what makes a good yoga mat and how to choose one.
There are several reasons why you need to choose the right yoga mat. Let’s start by unpacking the importance of carefully considering your yoga mat purchase:
Why Learning What Makes a Good Yoga Mat Is So Important
When you set out to get a yoga mat, you will come across several options (see the best yoga mat picks and reviews here).
- While all of these options may look like a good choice, there are several things you must consider when getting one.
- A high-quality yoga mat is a secret to performing some of the most difficult stretches and maintaining your balance.
- Certain yoga mats provide more stability than others, sticking to the floor – and helping you stick to them.
Furthermore, some yoga mats are made from better materials than others.
We encourage you to read our article discussing whether or not yoga mats are toxic. There, you’ll learn the impact on your physical health (and the environment) that traditional yoga mats can pose.
All this considered, you want to get the safest, highest-quality mat possible – getting you the most bang for your buck (which you find with yoga kits).
How to Choose a Yoga Mat That Meets Your Needs
Ready to learn how to choose a yoga mat? Here are some tips to help you get a mat you’re proud to unroll each time you perform yoga poses:
Many people fail to consider the importance of the thickness of your yoga mat.
When choosing the thickness of the yoga mat, you need to consider your body type. If a certain thickness works for your friend, it does not necessarily mean that it will work for you.
- For instance, if you have a bony body type, then you should consider getting a thicker yoga mat.
- If you are performing stretches that require you to exert force on the ground, then you will need a thicker yoga mat so that your bones don’t hurt.
- If you are a little chubbier, it is best to get a 1/4-inch thick yoga mat.
However, do not go for a mat that is extremely thick, as that will disrupt your balance. Make sure that you go for the perfect thickness.
Yoga mats come in all sorts of textures.
There may be mats that are super smooth, or you may find mats that come off as sticky.
- You may be tempted to get a super smooth yoga mat, but that may not be a good idea.
- It’s crucial for your yoga mat to have traction so you don’t just slip off when trying difficult poses.
- You may also sweat a lot, and if you do, smooth mats may be a complete no for you.
Therefore, it is best for you to go for textured natural rubber or jute mats, as they give you the grip you need to hold certain poses for long durations.
When you perform yoga, you do not just exercise some parts of your body, but you exercise all of it.
This is why a shorter yoga mat will not work.
- If you want to be comfortable and complete your yoga in the most effective manner, then you must get a yoga mat that fits you. It should also be as long as you.
- If not, you won’t be able to relax. When relaxing in yoga, you need to lie down, and if your legs go off the mat, then you will not reach the levels of relaxation you need.
- Other than the length, if you are wider than most people, you can invest in a wider yoga mat so that your back fits in perfectly.
If you go for inexpensive yoga mats, then you may get mats made of PVC.
Not only are they not an effective option, but they are also harmful to the environment.
- PVC mats are not biodegradable, and you can find much better alternatives.
- For instance, you can go for mats made with jute, natural rubber, or other recycled materials.
- Our personal favorite is organic – these are the most sustainable materials that provides an incredible yoga experience.
Moreover, when making your choice, consider if the yoga mat uses any toxic glues in the production. You may find all the information through the company you choose.
Other than that, consider getting a mat that you are not allergic to. Many people are often allergic to latex, and for such people, it is important to be mindful of their allergies when choosing a mat.
Last but not least, all of your options come down to the fact of whether or not you have the budget to buy the mat you want.
Do not let a high price tag fool you into thinking that the yoga mat will be of exceptional quality. There is no guarantee that the higher price you pay will give you the best quality yoga mat.
Always keep your budget in mind when you consider getting a yoga mat, so do not overspend.
What Makes A Good Yoga Mat?
There are lots of qualities that make a yoga mat stand out, and you may wonder what makes a good yoga mat. Here are some qualities that you must keep an eye out for:
- A good yoga mat will be at least 68 inches in length, but if you are taller than that, then you can get a longer yoga mat.
- Yoga mats made out of natural materials are the best option as they are very environmentally friendly and can give you the support you need.
- There are no strict requirements when it comes to the thickness and the texture of the yoga mat. But if you want to learn how to choose a yoga mat that is thick enough and has the right texture, you will have to learn from trial and error. Go for a texture that gives you the grip you need.
- When choosing a yoga mat, you must also consider where you are going to do yoga. For example, if you are going to practice yoga outdoors, then you must invest in a yoga mat that is lighter so that you can easily carry it wherever you want.
- Consider the yoga type you’re going to be doing as well. For example, you need a non-slip yoga mat for hot yoga. Certain mats are best for balance, instructional support and alignment.
To sum it up, the best yoga mat is the kind of mat that gives you the right comfort and practicality. If you are looking for a yoga mat that serves its purpose in the best way, you’ll find the top-rated yoga equipment and supplies here (based on aggregate customer reviews across the web).
Parting Thoughts On What Makes A Good Yoga Mat
Yoga is not just a form of exercise, but it’s a way of life.
When practicing yoga, you need to make sure that you follow all protocols. The right yoga mat will give you the best environment to stretch and relax your body – and exercise yoga wheels are great for this too.
- However, make sure that you choose a yoga mat that checks all the right boxes for you.
- The yoga mat should have the right thickness and a non-slippery texture, and it should be long enough to cover your entire body.
- If you keep these factors in mind when buying a yoga mat, you will be sure to get the best one.
If you lack motivation, the right yoga mat can motivate you to fully commit and do yoga regularly.
One can bond with their yoga mats and learn to focus better when they are standing on one. So may the wise choice and grab some yoga essentials that provide all you’re looking for!