When it comes to fold a cork yoga mat – is it safe?
Will the cork bend, crack, break or crease?
And if not… what are my best options for storage and travel?
That’s exactly what we’ll cover in this article – so you can conveniently store and carry your cork mat, while also protecting it. Let’s dive in!
Can you fold a cork yoga mat?
Folding a cork yoga mat creates a serious risk of permanently creases, cracking and short lifespan. There’s only a small exception – and that includes “slightly” folding it, so that you can roll it the opposite way.
What’s the best way to roll a cork yoga mat?
We have a few recommendations for how to roll a cork yoga mat – check out that article if you haven’t yet. It includes several ways to properly roll it without damaging or risking a shortened lifespan. Here’s a quick summary:
- Start by folding the mat in half lengthwise.
- Then, starting at one end, roll the mat up tightly.
- Once you reach the end, secure the roll with a yoga strap or bungee cord.
This will help to keep the mat rolled up tightly so that it does not come undone during your practice. With a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to roll up your yoga mat quickly and easily.
Any tips on storing it?
When it comes to cork yoga mats, we have a detailed guide that covers how to store a cork yoga mat properly. We’ll include some of those tips below as well:
- If you’re planning on storing your yoga mat for an extended period of time, it’s important to clean it first. This will help to prevent the growth of mold or mildew.
- Avoid storing your yoga mat in direct sunlight, as this can cause the material to break down over time.
- If possible, try to store your yoga mat in a cool, dry place. This will help to extend its lifespan.
- Make sure to roll up your yoga mat rather than folding it, as this will help to prevent creases or cracks.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your cork mat stays in good condition for years to come.
How do you maintain a cork yoga mat?
Cork mats require special care to keep them in good condition. Here are a few tips on how to fully clean and maintain your mat – without damaging it:
- Wipe down your mat after each use with a damp cloth. This will help to remove sweat and bacteria from the surface of the mat.
- Once every 2-6 weeks, clean your mat with a mild soap or eco-friendly cleaning product. Be sure to rinse the mat thoroughly afterwards.
- Store your cork yoga mat in a cool, dry place when not in use. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or heat, as this can cause the material to deteriorate.
By following these simple tips, you can help to extend the life of your cork yoga mat and ensure that it remains an effective tool for your practice – which is great to know, in case you want to shop for one.
Traveling with a cork yoga mat
If you’re looking for tips on how to pack and transport a cork yoga mat (while out-of-town), we have an article on our blog you’ll want to read.
Just scroll up to the menu, head to our Blog Posts, and search “travel” in the search bar to find the article.
You may also want to check out these mats if you’re looking for regular travel yoga mats that you can fold.
Beyond that, you might have more questions about cork yoga mats. Just search “cork” and you’ll see the rest of them. And as always, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!