Without maintaining them, yoga mats can get nasty…
But are cork yoga mats MORE hygienic compared to traditional yoga mats?
In this article, we’ll discuss the anti-microbial and self-cleaning properties of cork yoga mats – along with everything else to know about these wonderful mats.
Are cork yoga mats hygienic and clean?
Cork yoga mats are naturally anti-microbial and self-cleaning, which means they’re resistant to mold, mildew, dust and dirt. You don’t need to clean them as frequently as other yoga mats – and cork mats are great for hot yoga too. Let’s explain this below.
Do cork yoga mats smell?
Cork mats are a popular choice for yoga enthusiasts, as they are naturally antibacterial and moisture-resistant. However, sometimes cork yoga mats can have a strong smell.
Use this guide if you have a cork yoga mat smell that you’re concerned about. And if you just bought a cork yoga mat, keep in mind:
- This is usually due to the “out of box” smell that every yoga mat has, so it’s nothing to worry about.
- The smell will typically go away on its own after a few days of air exposure.
- In the meantime, you can try wiping down your mat with a diluted vinegar solution to help neutralize the odor.
Overall, there’s not much to worry (unless you’re dealing with a prolonged build-up of bacteria). You only need to wash and cleanse cork yoga mats every once in a while – more on this below.
Which yoga mats can grow mold and mildew? (GROSS)
After a sweaty session, traditional yoga mats can become the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. If left untreated, this can get nasty.
- These fungi thrive in humid environments, and they can quickly start to grow on your mat if it isn’t properly cleaned and dried.
- Many commercial yoga mats are made of PVC, which can grow mold and mildew (if not cleansed often).
- Natural rubber and jute mats are also very susceptible to nasty build-up.
If you notice any black or green patches on your mat, it’s important to clean it immediately to prevent the growth from spreading. With a little care and attention, you can keep your yoga mat clean and free of harmful fungi.
How to disinfect a cork yoga mat
We a have a thorough and detailed guide right here for cleaning your cork yoga mat – in order to prevent and remove the smell. However, here are a few quick tips:
- A simple mixture of water and vinegar will do the trick. Just be sure to rinse it off.
- Stay away from intense chemicals or cleaning agents, as they can wear down the mat.
- Don’t forget to give it a good wipe down every once in a while.
By keeping these points in mind, your cork yoga mat will look and feel great for years to come.
More to know about cork yoga mats